Cullompton skipper Brendon Parr shows off the Corinthian Cup after his side's eight-wicket win over Stoke Gabriel in the final<br>credit: Conrad Sutcliffe - no re-use without copyright owner's consent


CULLOMPTON skipper Brendon Parr did not have to look too far for his man of the moment in the eight-wicket win over Stoke Gabriel in the final of the Ivor Dewdney-sponsored Corinthian Cup at Cornwood.

Opening bowler Trevor Gwandu knocked over Justin Pringle then Jack Tolley with the first two balls he bowled – AND took out Abhishek Anand by the end of the first over.

“Trevor bowled probably the best over I have ever witnessed, taking out three of Stoke big guns,” said Parr.

Stoke were three wickets down for two runs scored with 19 overs to go – and their situation further deteriorated as Mike Meech and Chris Harrison came and went in a running total of 26 for five.Trevor Gwandu, whose three-wicket burst holed Stoke Gabriel below the waterline

Dave Hooper had a wicket by then – he finished with four for 19 -and Jack Grandfield had another. Chris McKee (3-0-12-0) kept it tight.

Jake Robinson (43) and Dan Bullock (10) offered some resistance, but an all-out total of 84 was never going to be enough to win it for Stoke and both sides knew it.

Stoke’s bowling was more miss than hit at first, although Robinson did account for Jason Parr thanks to a good catch out in the country by Sean Rooney.

Dan King (36no) and Brendon Parr (20) put on 54 for the second wicket, which left Hooper (12no) to tie up the loose ends with King at the start of the 15th over.

Winning skipper Parr said: “We knew with the bat in hand that all we needed to do was play sensible cricket shots and knock the ball around. 

“Having been runners-up a couple of times in the past six years, it's good to get our hands on the cup!

“It's been a great campaign for us and a real team effect with lots of individual performances throughout the year.”The cup-winning Cullompton team after they had defeated Stoke Gabriel by eight wickets in the final

As far as Stoke Gabriel were concerned it was yet another case of finals day jinxing.

Five times in the past Stoke had reached the last four – and five times in the past they failed to reach the final.

Hopes were high of lifting the cup at last after an eight-run win over Heathcoat 2nd XI in the semi sent Stoke into the final against Cullompton.

Robinson, the Stoke captain, was stoic when he looked back on a sixth finals day failure.

“At least we got into the final, which was a first for us,” said Robinson.

“It was always going to be a struggle for us after that first over.”

Cullompton’s lunchtime semi-final win over Ottery St Mary was a close affair only settled one way or the other with three balls to spare.

Ottery were all out for 120 in the last of their 20 overs – Sam O’Nyons the top scorer with 31.

Despite a three-wicket haul for Ottery’s Will Harrison (3-18), and tight spells from O’Nyons and Max Mayor, Cully got over the line with three wickets and three balls to spare. Gwandu top scored with 41 and Jason Parr made 28.Stoke Gabriel's Dan Bullock drives through the off-side