WEATHER App's have now almost totally removed the uncertainty that the old fashioned weather forecast created.

In turn this has removed much of the stress that these forecasts created.

For five days we had known that there would be light rain at Heathcoat from around 9.00am until noon and so it proved to be with delayed warm ups and start.

The new car parking arrangements that the National Trust have insisted on created the first logistical problem of the day but a swarm of royal and gold clad ants broke all records in emptying the car and filling the dressing room - very impressive.

The Heathcoat ground team were working at full stretch to get a start as soon as possible.

We had five competitive under 17 debutants and Abraham Kopparambil returning to the side after almost a year.

When the warm up started it went totally to plan and Gibbs won the toss and inserted.

It was still overcast and the forecast was for the weather to improve.

Last summer the seventeens had planned to go hard from ball one but this approach never materialised, whereas Gloucester had adopted it in both our games.

However opener Ayres was something different.

He hit thirty-four off sixteen balls hitting eight fours.

Anyone after a sleepy Sunday was most certainly in the wrong place.

Fortunately he tried one big hit too many and although the bowler initially thought it was bound for the trees recovered in time to take a critical caught and bowled.

Gibbs first two overs had gone for twenty-three, such punishment never previously experienced by the captain.

However he once again held a not too easy catch and Gloucestershire were forty-eight for one off twenty-nine.

It was a shock to everyone's system as a few more overs at twelve's would have made life more difficult on the chase.

As it was Ayres had provided his side with the perfect start but if you live by the sward you often die by it! It became a lot calmer after the openers demise and the visitors lost their second wicket in the seventeenth over when Kopparambil started his collection of Fantasy points catching Webb off Elliott Adams.

At the end of the over Gloucestershire were 91-2.

 Hancock again came on first change in the PowerPlay and once again justified the decision.

He took over from Matt Parker who much to relief of some of the senior players was back in the fold.

Elliott Adams replaced the captain from the new car park end.

Jack had underestimated the strength of the wind which was present all day.

Abrahams point collection was increased by a brilliant direct hit to run out keeper Brewer.

Twenty overs bowled three wickets down with Gloucestershire one short of three figures.

Devon had done exceptionally well in now keeping their visitors to under fives.

The captain changed ends and never looked back.

In the twenty-sixth over he trapped Drivell in front and Devon were most certainly back in the game on 127-4 - outstanding.

Poor Sam Read had now been gifted the car park end, strong wind, short leg side boundary there is a tough side to the skipper! To his credit Read completed his ten conceding in two equal spells 5.20, the same return as Adams who also enjoyed the same end! The Price brothers were now compiling their sides highest partnership of the innings scoring sixty off eighty-nine balls.

They both, as the coach would describe, played proper cricket shots and the Kookaburra gave them their full reward.

The stand was broken fourth ball of the fortieth over, Khan holding the catch off Kopparambil to remove the senior Price for a top score of seventy-seven.

Gloucester were on the Australians dreaded one eight seven with five wickets now in hand.

Gloucestershire scored another forty-five off sixty-two balls an outstanding period for Devon conceding just fives.

On two two five Ward gave Parker a wicket catching the younger Price and Phillips held Senior off the captain of the last ball of the innings, Gibbs second spell was 3-1-2-1 and his final over conceded just two.

His final figures were 10-2-35-3, just recall his first two overs - terrific figures.

Buffett lunch with England beating South Africa in a T20.

England were led by Josh Buttler and a Devonian was to play a Buttler knock later in the day.

Sandy Allen had set his side, if batting first, a target of 225 so here was their chance to go seven better.

James Bovey was a visitor, now fully fit after his high jump accident.

For the first time this summer he is now in contention for a place in the side.

The home side started well putting on fifty-six in fifteen and a half overs, not so frenetic as their opponents but in the context of what has been a difficult season, most acceptable.

Ward once again looked the part driving well but he leant back on one and was caught by Ahmed off the younger Price.

Add on two, well in this case three, Devon fell away from 56-0 to 69-3 and up against it.

Kopparambil charged Jupp and was stumped, annoying as he could have played the anchor role and keeper Brewer held Read off the older Price.

The situation got worse as one of the sides key batters Jamie Khan lasted just thirteen balls when he became Pritchard's first victim - Seventy-nine for four and in trouble.

They were now in the second half of their innings and behind the rate.

It had started at just under fives and was now at 6.28, still very achievable.

The coach was now breaking it down in simple terms it was virtually still just one a ball.

It would be interesting as to how this predominately young side would respond to the task.

They were magnificent.

The sides tallyman Phillips was now at the crease with Under 15s skipper Jack Moore and they put on sixty-nine off seventy-nine and Devon were back on target.

Phillips fell in the fortieth over having scored thirty-seven off forty-four striking four fours and a six.

Moore was also making a major contribution with one effort clearing the pavilion..

Louise Morison demonstrated his intent from ball one and the under fifteens added twenty-seven off twenty-three.

Ye of little faith had been hoping for an end product of around one eighty but Hancock appeared to have a real belief that we would get there.

Devon were on one seven five when Moore departed for a vital thirty.

Devon now had forty-three balls to score fifty-seven - game very much still on.

Indeed it was, Morison departed five runs later (strike rate 126.32) but Gibbs and Sam Taylor added thirty from twenty-seven.

You felt for the captain who was next out as he was terribly disappointed to be caught off a full toss against his own Academy but this Devon side did not know when to lie down! Taylor was bringing out all the full Buttler repertoire with great effect.

He and Adams got their side to the final over needing fourteen.

First ball was a run wide (2), Taylor now on strike - dot, four, two, out -Devon needed six off two.

Taylor had been the home sides top scorer with thirty-eight with a strike rate of 131.03.

Batsman Adams and Hancock confer, we will run at least a two or hit a four.

They ran a one off a potential one and a half and Adams was run out on the second off the penultimate ball.

An outstanding game with this young Devon side competing all of the way.

The result was disappointing but not the performance which across the board had been exceptional.

Heathcoat were excellent hosts and there is now a real chance that Devon will be able to compete in their forthcoming three day programme.