Women's Softball Cricket is back for 2019!
Women’ Softball Cricket is back for 2019!
We are encouraging as many clubs as possible to offer Women’s Softball Cricket at their club in 2019 in order to get more 14+ year old females playing cricket. We’re not talking about 50 overs, hardball or helmets but informal fun sessions for all abilities and ages!
In recent years we have marketed this as ‘Wine and Wickets’ which has proved a great success at clubs – 300+ women took part across clubs in 2018. Many clubs offered a free glass of prosecco or wine after each session which went down very well!
Women’s Softball is the perfect complement to your colts training nights and the perfect way to get more ladies involved. The target audience is;
- Mums of juniors and All Stars
- Wives and girlfriends and friends of existing players
- Daughters / Sisters 14+ of existing players
- Local female sports teams wanting a social for the summer
- Ex-players who fancy getting back into cricket
- Existing players who maybe lost to the game for not wanting to play hardball
Running Softball Cricket
The programme can be run by any volunteer, helper or cricket activator. You don’t need to be a level 2 cricket coach to run this activity. We encourage each session to focus on softball and informal cricket with an emphasis on fun and getting everyone involved.
During the programme we would encourage clubs to attend a number of informal softball festivals hosted at cricket clubs around the County.
- Flyer templates and marketing materials
- A small amount of high quality Women’s Softball New Balance kit for new clubs
- T-Shirts for all women who attend a festival
- Female specific activators course at Exeter University in the Spring
- Online resource with coaching and session plans
What’s Expected of the Club
- Find a lead volunteer to front and drive the scheme in 2019
- Utilise the flyers and posters provided to advertise getting new 14+ year old women along to a session
- Run 4+ sessions at your club
- Attend a summer festival
- Provide feedback on of the programme
Timeline for Programme
April, May, June, July and August - Run your Women’s Softball programme
June, July, August – attend a festival
See the 'Soft Ball Contacts' page for club information and festival dates.